Rustic style represents a simple life close to nature and brings to mind dark wood, cast iron, antique terra cotta pottery and walls decorated with taxidermy deer heads. In U.S. rustic furniture is often referred to as Adirondack furniture, a term coined after the upstate New York wilderness preserve. Rustic furnishing are mainly carved and fretted and made to look like tree branches.
Every design element in a rustic décor should be inspired by nature. With rough textures and rugged finish, a rustic bathroom should give you the feel of being in a cabin in the woods. Here are some key elements to consider when designing a rustic bathroom:
- Floor: Choose matte finish hard wood laminate flooring. Pick the moisture resistant ones designed especially for the bathroom. If you are still nervous about moisture damage, go for wood finished ceramic tiles.
- Wall: You can add a board and batten feature with same material you used for your floor. Make it authentic with this North American Moose Head Bust wall head.
- Vanity: Install a wooden vanity that has simple designs with natural grains and rugged finish.
Complete the rustic look by installing a copper vessel sink on the top.
- Vanity Mirror: Choose a wooden mirror frame with a rugged finish that lets the natural grains of the wood show through. Another great option for a rustic look is a mirror with an metal frame with an antique finish.
- Tubs: Stone, metal or wooden bath tubs are perfect for a rustic décor. Wooden bath tubs retain heat very well and they can be custom made. Stone bath tubs are available in granite, marble, onyx, travertine, basalt and sandstone. If you are going for simplicity, stick to the standard white bath tub.
- Accessories: You can have your pick when choosing accessories for your rustic bathroom. Keeping with the theme, go for bronze, cast iron or wooden accessories. Bronze toilet paper holder towel bar faucet make perfect accessories for a rustic bathroom. If you want to go all out, you can even find rustic bronze tub and shower faucets and curtain rings. If you have a white toilet, add a rustic touch with an oil rubbed bronze tank level that can be installed on any standard tank.